FFA Prepares Fundraiser for Veterans

Los Banos FFA members Juliet Magana (left) and Belen Gonzalez (right) stand with Honor Flight Veterans at the National Navy Memorial in downtown Washington DC.

Sophia Castro, FFA Reporter

The Los Banos FFA and Pacheco FFA are coming together to raise money for the Honor Flight Veteran program, which sends veterans to Washington D.C. to visit the war memorials.   In addition, the Los Banos Ag Boosters and the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #2487 American Legion 166 will help sponsor a rigatoni drive-thru dinner on Wednesday, February 22, 2017. Tickets are on sale for $10 for one dinner that includes a roll, salad, and a cookie in addition to the rigatoni.

This idea came about after FFA members took their annual trip back east for the National FFA Convention.  On the last day of the Washington D.C. trip, members toured the National Navy Memorial. Unplanned and unknowingly, the FFA members met veterans of the Central Valley Honor Flight while on their tour. The men and women who were on the Honor Flight constituted local WWII veterans and Korean War veterans that are sent to Washington DC every year to see their memorials through the help and donations of the community.

Pictures were snapped and stories were told as the Los Banos FFA members honored the service of local veterans. Not only were members shocked to see veterans so close to home so far away in Washington DC, but the Los Banos FFA students returned with overwhelming gratitude and patriotism for those who continuously give their lives in order to protect our own.

Sophomore Ryann Vierra describes her time visiting the war memorials as “a truly heart warming experience. I was overcome with great appreciation for all of the men and women who served our country.” In addition, Junior Sebastian Greer explains his experience meeting the Honor Flight veterans stating, “They were very happy and grateful to see us. One veteran even told me that not many youths come up to veterans regarding their service.”

As the service of these hometown heroes remain close to heart for FFA members, they encourage the community to come together and help support this program by purchasing dinner tickets.

Through the generous and overwhelming support of the community, this fundraiser will provide unforgettable trips for veterans who fought to protect the red, white, and blue.