Academic Decathlon Places Second in Competition

Lauren McCullough, Editor

Congrats to the Academic Decathlon team for a strong performance Saturday at the 37th annual Merced County Academic Decathlon at Merced College. The team finished second in our division missing the top spot by less than a percentage point.

The team won five individual medals in the following areas: Emily Orr won the silver medal in Math in Scholastic Division and a $500 dollar scholarship. Elena Guitierrez won the silver medal in Music in the Scholastic Division. Paulo Campos won three medals in the varsity division including a silver medal for his essay, a silver medal in Math and a bronze medal in Art. He also won a $250 dollar scholarship. And, Ashley Goshay won a $250 scholarship.

The team also won the bronze medal in the prestigious Super Quiz team competition beating every high school in the county except two.

The adviser of the Academic Decathlon team, Mr. Reardon said, “The kids out performed my expectations.” He is very pleased with how his team competed and he hopes to continue moving forward for next year, by finding more time for studying and preparing to score even higher at the next competition.

The team members who competed Saturday include: Hayley Stevenson, Ashley Goshay, Sidney Carrigan, Emily Orr, Elena Guitierrez, Hannah Vera and Paulo Campos.

With such a strong team this year, Mr. Reardon hopes to have a successful competition next year as well, so if anyone is interested in joining the Academic Decathlon Team next year, meetings will be held at the start of the year in order to prepare for the competition. If anyone is interested in joining, see Mr. Reardon in room 10.

Way to go Tigers!!