English Teacher Recognized for Excellence

Pricilla Ceja, Staff Reporter

At the 2017 Young Writers’ Conference, one of our teachers was recognized for her excellence in teaching for creative writing, Mrs. Erin DeGough.

DeGough has been teaching in our school for two years now, graduating from Fresno State in 2016 with her MFA in Creative Writing. Her classes are teaching AP literature and composition, AP language and composition, and a college prep 11th grade English. DeGough was interviewed by Jefferson Beavers at the event.

To her, everyone is a creative writer and tries to balance creative writing and academic writing in her classes. But with the new standards of Common Core,  “it’s difficult to know where the balance lies between rigorous academic composition and more formulaic writing and truly creative expression.” DeGough thinks its important to have students create and share their own unique stories.

Last year being her first year, it was also the start of the Creative Writing Club, which she is the head adviser. During the club, they research contest and work on submissions to send to them, do creative writing exercises, and plan events for Halloween, Christmas, and other holidays.

Receiving the teacher award was a huge accomplishment for DeGough because creative writing is something she is very passionate about.

“I’m so thankful for the conference for providing my students, many of whom come from low-income households on the rural west side of the Central Valley, with a glimpse into what it means to be a professional writer – that it’s possible – and that their goals and their writing matters. To be a part of that on any small level is something I will never take for granted.”