Teachers share college experience

Angelina Valencia

Mrs. Cozzi shares her enthusiasm about her college experience.

Scout Gutierrez, Reporter

Most of the staff at Los Banos High school took a survey about college, what college they attended and what they studied. Five teachers were chosen to be interviewed about their college experience and to give advice to seniors, such as myself, that are leaving for college after high school or even a bit later in the future. 

Mrs. Cozzi
Question 1: What college(s) did you go to? What did you study? 

“I started off at JC college here in Los Banos to get a two year degree, and it took 11 years to finish that degree. So I enrolled in an online college which was Ashford College at that time, and I got my bachelors in Applied Behavior Science. Then I went on to National which was another online college to get my teaching credential, and I ended up getting a masters in Special Education.”

Question 2: Why did you choose that/those major(s)?

“I originally wanted to be a marine biologist, if you can’t tell I love the ocean (her room is beautifully set up as a type of allusion to the ocean). I came to work here; this was my first job after becoming a parent. So I stayed at home for 17 years then came here and was a substitute behavior support aid for five years. I really wanted the kids to get a better opportunity, so that’s why I became a teacher.” 

Question 3: Something you are proud of doing while in college.

“I was very proud of the fact, that I earned a gold cord for graduation. My GPA was almost a 4.0 while working full time, taking care of a family full time, and going to college full time, as an adult… that I was very proud of is I was able to get that gold cord.” 

Question 4: What is your most favorite college memory?

“Favorite college memory was when I got my college diploma, I walked across the stage and I was like very beaming, shook their hand and as soon as I was done shaking their hand, my face just went ‘-_-’, and I walked off the stage and that was a video I showed my kids here in school. They were like, “Oh my god, that’s so you Cozzi!”

Question 5: Who is someone or something that impacted your college experience?

“I would have to say my mentor here at the high school level really pushed me. I wanted to get into accounting where I can just be in a tiny room with some files and never have to deal with people. He pushed me to go take one of those tests, for college. It was my mentor pushing me to go and become a teacher.”

Question 6: Any Tips/Advice for Seniors.

“Do not let your experience in high school make you think you can’t accomplish things later in life. Like I said, I went to college and it took me a really long time to finish going. I had D’s and F’s when I was in high school.  it’s not really important where you start, it’s how you finish.”

Mr. Leonard

“After being a full time paramedic for 10 years, I decided that I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I was recently hired at Merced Junior College as an Adjunct for the EMT program. I enjoyed volunteering and helping out at my wife’s school and that’s when I made a decision to obtain my degree.  I enrolled in an online program at Western Governors University.  It was a fast paced program, and I completed my degree in three years. My teaching credential was embedded into the degree which really benefited me.”

“I chose my majors by the areas of interest at that time. When I was younger, I knew Public Safety was the route I wanted to take. As I got older, I realized that I really enjoyed teaching. Plus teaching is a lot less stressful.”

“I am proud of many things. Proud to survive fire academy, reserve academy, EMT program and the most stressful was the paramedic program. I am also proud that at 40 years old, I was able to go back to school, accelerate a year in college while working on the ambulance, and start another chapter in my life.”

“My favorite college memory is studying at every available restaurant and Starbucks I could find while waiting for the next 911 call. It drove my EMT partners crazy.”

“The person that impacted my college experience was Maury Wolverton.  She was my student mentor at WGU. The program required us to meet every other week for accountability. She always offered suggestions on courses and especially during my student teaching.”

“My advice for seniors is whether you go straight to a trade school out of high school, a two year college, or a four year college, always follow your passion. Your passion can change and that’s fine, but every experience, good or bad will make you the best person you are going to be. Just keep moving forward, hope for the best and adjust accordingly.”

Mr. McWilliams

“Chapman University, European History.” 

“Interest, for my future.”

“Getting to travel.”

“Traveling to Europe.”

“Two of my professors, my British history professor and my Ancient Rome professor.”

“Don’t stress out too much.”

Mr. Hill 

“Well, I went to many colleges. I started out at a junior college in Modesto and then from there I was recruited to play football in Missouri, at Lindenwood University and after being there only one semester,  I decided to come back to CA, and go to Fresno State and try out for the football team and made it there. Finished my degree at Fresno State, after that I also went to some other colleges like University of San Diego, and University of Chapman.”

“My major was Industrial Arts. Initially I was going to be in engineering. I found out I didn’t like math as much as I thought I did, so I moved into Industrial Arts and was going to become an automotive engineer. They still have a lot of math, but not as much as a structural engineer, and then I still didn’t like that amount of math. So then I said, “You know what, I’m going to go and be a mechanic, then I decided I’m not gonna be a mechanic but I’m going to teach mechanics.”

“This one’s easy, besides playing football throughout my college career, it’s where I met my wife.”

“My favorite college memory, well I have two. The first one happened in 1997, and that was when I actually got to play at Fresno State, on the kickoff team for football. The second one was at graduation, when I surprised and asked my then girlfriend to marry me.” 

“I’d have to say in college itself, number one impact was one of my instructors at Modesto Junior college his name was Coach Caprado, and he was the head coach.  I took a sports psychology class and I learned a lot about how to control my feelings, my thoughts and my body and all kinds of stuff, not just in sports but in life in general.”

“My tip would be, you don’t have to go to a four year college, definitely go to a junior college.  You don’t have to stay around and do a local junior college. Go out and go to another junior college outside of our area and that gives you time to think about doing stuff, be away from family and friends, and it’s a lot cheaper. Then when you decided what your degree is, find the college that fits your degree not necessarily the college you wanna go to because your friends are going.”

Thank you to the teachers who participated and shared their college experience and stories.