World Traveler Mr. Flores Joins the English Department

Siana Barrett

Mr. Flores is a newly hired English teacher.

Siana Barrett

As a student, Mr. Jaime Flores was inspired by one of his teachers, Mr. Hedlind to do anything he wanted to do. In his sixth year teaching, Flores decided to come back to Los Banos High School to impact students’ lives by teaching English, just like Mr. Hedlind did for him.

Mr. Flores first career goal was to become a journalist. In fact, in his senior year 2007, he started the LBHS newspaper again. Then, in 2009, the economy crashed and newspapers started closing so he had to make a career choice. At this point, Mr. Flores turned to a career in education.

Although many think that this is Mr. Flores first time teaching since college, it is actually his sixth year educating students, and his first time teaching in America. He has spent the last five years in South Korea teaching children English and Social Studies. When asked if there are any major differences between Korean classrooms and American classrooms, he stated that there are glass walls along the hallway looking into the classroom, along with security cameras in the classroom. When asked why he responded that when the children misbehave, they take the video clip of the student being bad, and they send it to the parents.

As a student, Mr. Flores remarked that there were no chromebooks in classrooms, let alone projectors. He also mentioned that the quad area has improved. During his high school years, he participated in the Drama Club, Writer’s Guild, Spanish Honor Society, and the English Honor Society. As a freshman, he participated in cross country and wrestling; he also participated in water polo and swim throughout his high school years.

When asked if one of his new coworkers was ever one of his favorite teachers, he stated that it was Mr. Faria. He then confessed that he was not very motivated in doing choir his senior year, and Mr. Faria inspired him to sing.

As an English teacher, he plans on doing a fun persuasive writing project that includes going to local restaurants and writing reviews on Yelp.

Mr. Flores has advice for students looking to educate others. He said, “I would say, travel the world first. That way you can bring something new to the classroom.”

Mr. Flores has been to 22 different countries, including Korea. And a random fun fact that he included was his favorite food was in Vietnam and the most scenic area was in the Czech Republic.

Come visit our new English teacher in Room 15 if you are interested in knowing more about his travel experiences.