Wrestler Kiana Daniels Ranks Fifth in Nation

Senior Kiana Daniels ranked 5th in the nation for wrestling at the 32nd NHSCA High School Nationals Virginia Beach, Virginia 136 Weight Class on April 23-26 making her a High School All American.

At the NHSCA High School Nationals Events traditionally wrestlers from 49 states including nearly 1,000 state champions and 2,400 State place winners competed at high school nationals in front of hundreds of college coaches. The very best from across the country are at this event.  This is the event where competitors are officially declared an All-American. The Top 8 place finishers receive an All-American certificate in addition to an individual award, which is a plaque which states the name of the event, the division, the ranking and weight class. These Top 8 will also be featured in the high school digital sports Hall of Fame.

Daniels first match was against the Arkansas State Champion, who she pinned in the first period in only 59 seconds.  She won her second match by pinning her opponent from South Carolina in the first period in 1 minute 8 seconds. Her third match against Washington moved her to the consolation bracket.  Her fourth match against California confirmed her All American status and winning her fifth and final match by a pin in the second period against her second opponent from South Carolina in 2 minutes and 35 seconds securing her 5th place standing on the podium at Nationals.

“Kiana Daniels claims a spot on the podium at girls high school nationals here in Virginia Beach, Virginia.  She went 3 – 2 on the day.  Three wins by pin and two close losses by decision! Very proud of her accomplishments here on just under a month of being back on the mat. We were one period away from being in the finals if we would have had a season we would have been in the finals; she did great.  Proud is an understatement; she did amazing today!” said LBHS Wrestling Coach, Jose Castro who accompanied her on this trip.

Daniels did not wrestle a real opponent competitively in 13 months prior to this event.  To get in shape for Nationals, in addition to being on the Varsity Wrestling and Varsity Water Polo teams consecutively, she did military workouts with her Marines Recruiter Charlie Coulter, her fellow Recruits & Poolies.  After graduation she plans to move on to the military and serve her country as a Marine.