Students Anticipate Senior Best Nominations

Diego Reynoso, Staff Reporter

On  October 4, the long-awaited senior best ballots were distributed among senior classes. This is one of the most anticipated school traditions, and several students hope they will win a nomination and be featured in the Senior Best section of the yearbook.

Every year, ballots are passed out to the senior class for them to vote for their senior best. This has been a tradition in schools for several years, and every year students campaign themselves and their friends in a variety of categories from Best Smile to Best Athlete.

Yearbooks have been around for several decades. The first college yearbook was printed in 1806 by Yale University. It was not until the 1880s that yearbooks became a tradition because printing became easier. The tradition continues to this day. There is no exact date to when Senior Best Nominations became a tradition in schools. It could have been created shortly after yearbooks began being massed produced in the late 1890s, but it was most likely around the late 1980s when technology was used for yearbook creation, making recording data much easier.

Saul Madriz, wants to be nominated for most athletic. “I’ve played soccer and wrestling during my last four years, and you need a lot of stamina and energy to do good.”

Jose Vironche and Victoria Bautista want to be nominated for cutest couple. “I never imagined them as a couple, but when they got together I realized they seem good for each other.” Says Santiago Areliz, a senior who has been a close friend of Jose Vironche for years. “I’m glad Victoria and Jose are still together; they have a cute relationship,” says senior Sarah Chavez, a friend of Victoria.

Melany Ricardo wants to be nominated for best artist. She likes to draw and post them on social media for her friends to see. She asked her classmates to vote for her, saying she will be very happy if she wins the nomination. Lylah Carranza also hopes that she will win best artist. Both artists post their designs on social media.

David Flores hopes he can win best dressed. “Everyone tells me I dress good, and after the nominations, everyone told me that they voted for me. It would be nice to win.”

The results of senior best nominations will be released in the next few weeks, so look forward to the results in the next article.