Applying to Colleges a Daunting Task

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Blank college application on a desktop. Artwork created by the photographer.

Julian A Delgadillo, Staff Reporter

Now with the class of 2021 about to graduate in about one month, many seniors have chosen the college and university route for future careers.

Starting junior year of high school, many students start thinking of where they want to attend their  four years of college.  They plan out dates to take the PreSat and the SAT several times.  They start creating a list of potential schools to attend based on location, majors, activities, and cost. Next, students spend time discussing the pros and cons of each school and determine which would be a better fit for them. When the list is narrowed, students dive deeper in the information of what schools offer like financial aid, awards and scholarships. By the time students reach their senior year in the fall semester, they can begin applying to their final choices, and they wait patiently for the announcement of acceptance or rejection in the spring.  Next in their senior year they have finally decide and see which ones you were accepted to or rejected. Then the planning begins.

Many seniors have chosen the community college route since Gavin Newsom has signed a legislation to give students two free years of  community college. Some have opted this pathway to save a little money then transfer to a university.

According to a post in 2019 on the California Governor’s website, Newsom said, “’This is real help for students trying to improve their lives and build their future. No one can argue with the fact that the full cost of attending institutions of higher learning is still far too high – both in California and across the country. But by offering two years of community college tuition-free, California is taking a meaningful step toward chipping away at the cost of higher learning for students and their families.’”

Senior, Jesus Garcia chose to complete his two years of general Ed at the Los Banos campus of Merced College. After two years, he plans to transfer to CSU Stanislaus in Turlock achieving his degree in Human Resources.

Some students such as Noel Cid have chosen to not attend any school after high school. He plans to join a Carpenters Union in the Bay area.

Check out all the college acceptances posted on our website and see where students are headed after graduation.  How will you choose your future after high school?