What type of music really helps you study?

Ruth Fuentes, Staff Reporter

In the late afternoons, with exams and tests around the corner, not to mention the end of the year exams, students can be under stress as the end of the year approaches. Our study sessions have increased and sometimes a little noise in the background can help with concentration and relaxation, but have you ever wondered what type of music really helps your study sessions?

According to Study.com, “Background music may improve focus on a task by providing motivation and improving mood. During long study sessions, music can aid endurance. In some cases, students have found that music helps them with memorization, likely by creating a positive mood, which indirectly boosts memory formation.”  Knowing these benefits leads to the question, but what type of background music? Here are three of the most recommended and proven types of music to help students study and keep you company during those exhausting study sessions. 

First, classical music is a good choice for studying. According to cmuse.org, “scientists, neuro-linguistics, and music therapists are working hard to create a reasonable explanation of the connection between wave-forms and neurons, in other words between the melody and the state of mind. For now, we can only operate with observations that have worked for other people during their education.”  This of course includes treatment for stress, insomnia, boosting of mood, or even claiming your emotion.

Second, ambient and electronic music is popular on many college and university campuses. According to ncu.edu, “Ambient sounds that you would expect to hear on a soundtrack during a spa treatment can help you relax, as for New Age and ambient EDM music are a good choice for those who don’t like classical. Any music with little to no lyrics is best.” This type of music is said to boost energy levels helping teens finish work much faster.

Last, nature’s natural sounds might provide a relaxing atmosphere that makes working more pleasant. The website, Healthline.com, also mentioned “according to a 2007 study from the Stanford University School of Medicine, music — classical music, specifically — can help your brain absorb and interpret new information more easily. Your brain processes the abundance of information it receives from the world around you by separating it into smaller segments. The researchers found evidence to suggest that music can engage your brain in such a way that it trains it to pay better attention to events and make predictions about what might happen.” 

Of course these are just some of music types that can provide help in long sessions of studying. Music can work in different situations for various tasks.  Find music to motivate you for the last month of school and for those long nights of working hard.