Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.

David Flores

Michael Chavarria and Alyssa Catalan recycle bottles and cans for cross country.

Pricilla Ceja, Staff Reporter

Drinking water is a must, having that ice caramel macchiato with whipped cream and soy milk in the morning is an even bigger must. But what do to with the container after? Recycle them of course!!

Around school we use to have two different trash cans, one for recycling and the other for trash, but recently the trash cans have been replaced slowly with a single black plastic one.

Don’t let that one trash can be your only option for recycling.  Many teachers have their own little business in their classroom. For example, the history teachers save the money for their history scholarship to give out.

Another example is Mr. Barcellos has his office filled sometimes to the ceiling with water bottles and cans, to be sorted and then taken to the recycling center for some money to help with his track team.

One of his students, Alyssa Catalan, from the team helps sort the mess and says although it’s a lot of hard work and the smell is unbearable, the pay off is amazing. With the money the team is able to buy new long and short sleeved Nike shirts, along with fun little stuff.

When asked if she knows about the Environmental Club, she says, “Yes. Not in it. Should I be? Probably.”

The Environmental Club does want more people to recycle, “…we aren’t so much just in it for the money, but more about the carbon footprint we do…” as said from the Environmental Club advisor, Mrs Thacker.

Along with recycling and trying to make that bigger around school, the club also wants to add more flowers and trees around the school.

There are many ways to recycle around school and leave your own carbon footprint; it just starts with a simple Starbucks in the right place.