Should We Keep Daylight Saving Time?

Tyler Spadafore, Reporter

Daylight Saving Time is something that many Americans are divided on, some enjoy it and others hate it. The origin of Daylight Saving Time is often mistaken or unknown by many in the U.S. It was first introduced in Germany in 1916 during World War I as an energy saving measure, according to CU Boulder sleep researcher Kenneth Wright. The U.S. followed suit, adopting DST in 1918. Initially implemented as a wartime measure, it was repealed a year later. Daylight saving time was reinstituted in 1942 during World War II.

The United States Senate was introduced to a new bill on March 9th, 2022. This new bill was The Sunshine Protection Act. This bill was proposed to make Daylight Saving Time permanent and end the practice of changing our clocks twice a year. On March 15, the Senate passed that bill. The House of Representatives, which has held a committee hearing on the matter, must still pass the bill before it can go to President Joe Biden to sign.

A fellow student Jacob Reyna believes that Daylight Saving Time is not needed because we are not in a world war anymore and don’t need to conserve electricity. Reyna stated, “Daylight Saving Time is honestly pointless; we don’t need to set our clocks an hour back anymore. It is disruptive.”  Another student Acxel Vargas said, “I like Daylight Savings time. I like the extra hour of sleep I get.”

A Monmouth University poll conducted in March showed that 61% of Americans would favor getting rid of our twice-annual clock changes. The survey also found that 44% of Americans prefer making daylight saving time permanent, while 13% want to operate on standard time all year.