What difference does it make to take LB2MC classes?

Julian Mejia, Reporter

When students pick classes for next school year, they might hear about the option to take courses through Merced College.

LB2MC is what the program through Los Banos High and they offer students the ability to earn transferable college credits through a variety of classes. Students should start taking these classes when they are a sophomore to get ahead, but juniors and seniors can still take these courses. When taking these courses, they are online, and they do not require students to go to the Merced College Campus. Students will go to a class with other LB2MC students during their fifth or sixth periods.

In order to take LB2MC courses, students will need to get confirmation from their College and Career Counselor to prevent ineligible students from taking the courses students want. The benefits of taking these courses is that students can knock down A-G classes whilst earning college credits at the same time. This means that if a student takes LB2MC courses from their Sophomore-Senior year, they can have up to 30 or more college credits cleared before high school graduation.

Senior Jonas Gurgen has taken LB2MC courses since he was a sophomore. He says, “I’ve been enrolled in dual enrollment classes since I was a sophomore. I initially only took electives, but last year I was able to finish my English credits one year early. As a senior, this broadened my options for coursework, allowing me to take courses that I otherwise wouldn’t have space for. By the time I graduate from high school, I will have accrued 34 college credits from the 11 dual enrollment classes I took.”

By taking the LB2MC courses, not only do students knock two birds with one stone by completing an A-G class and a College class, but it is also free, saving you time and money. If you are ready to get ahead in school and have the effort to do these courses, give it a shot!

See your counselor for more information.