Neil Gomez Brings Enthusiasm to the Team

Daisy Martinez, Staff Reporter

For most teens, high school football games mean friends, the Tiger Pride section, food, and much more.  But for one student in particular, he approaches the game on a more personal level, sitting on the sidelines among the players and coaches.

Maybe you noticed him?  He cheers.  He screams. He encourages. He supports.  He hugs.  He high-fives.  Basically, he does it all. Although he is not even on the team, he is considered to be “one-of-the boys.”

This is Neil Gomez, a junior.

Gomez loves to be on the field with the football team. He is passionate about the team and takes his “job” seriously.  He enjoys helping out and being the force who motivates and inspires the football players. “I like to tell the players ‘it’s okay’ when they are losing, did something bad, or just giving up,” Gomez replies.

He helped at four of the home games Los Banos High had this year. “I like the Tigers football team and the 49ers,” says Gomez.

While on the field, Gomez loves all the attention he gets from the football players.   One of his favorite players is John McClendon. Gomez says,” John pays the most attention, and I am most comfortable around him.”

The football players have a special bond with Gomez too.  McClendon responded to Gomez’s comment saying, “The attention I give him is different from everybody else; he gives me motivation and always knows what to say when I’m down and the enthusiasm he has makes everything brighter.”

McClendon also added, “Neil is special and brings happiness and a great spirit to the field.”

“Neil lifts the attitudes of everyone on the field, even though he doesn’t wear a jersey, I look at him as part of the team,” says Scotty Crist, a Tiger football player.

Most of the other football players feel the same way as Crist in regards to Gomez being part of the team. “He brings excitement and enthusiasm to us and the crowd; Neil is just like one of the guys, he does what we do, screams and yells, and wants us to win.  He’s a big part of this team,” says Anthony Barba.

Anthony Caballero also says that Gomez has so much pride which “no one can take away.”

In addition, the players say that he never lets the football players say things that will bring them down or anything that isn’t good sportsmanship. His presence on the field is a huge inspiration to the players, motivating them to play well and continue throughout the game as well.

Mrs. Ramos, Gomez’s teacher, says, “The enthusiasm you see out on the field is also what you see and hear from him at school.” She also says, “it’s hard to have a bad day with Neil around.”

Gomez likes to see smiles all the time. No matter what is going on with himself. He wants everybody to be happy.  He is committed to do anything it takes to connect with people and have them smile.

Besides all the enthusiasm he has for football,  he also likes basketball and dancing.  Keep your eyes out for him.  His enthusiasm is catchy, and his Tiger Pride is everlasting. The players hope to see him down on the field next year.  Football wouldn’t be the same without him. Let’s hear it for Neil Gomez!