The Highs and Lows Of College: Acceptance Rates vs. Dropout Rates

Isaiah Castillo, Reporter

College dropout rates and college acceptance rates are two important metrics that can provide insights into the state of higher education. While college acceptance rates are often celebrated as a measure of success, college dropout rates can reveal some of the challenges students face once they enroll. Dropout rates refer to the percentage of students who leave college before completing their degree, while acceptance rates are the percentage of applicants who are admitted to a college or university.

According to recent data, college acceptance rates have been decreasing over the years. In 2020, the average acceptance rate for four-year colleges and universities in the US was just 17.7%. This means that only a small fraction of applicants are able to secure a spot in their desired college or university. However, even for those who do manage to gain admission, the challenge of completing their degree remains.

In contrast to acceptance rates, college dropout rates have been steadily increasing. In 2020, the national college dropout rate was 33%. This means that one in three students who enroll in college do not complete their degree. There are a variety of factors that contribute to this trend, including the high cost of tuition, lack of support services, and the need for students to work while attending college.

While college dropout rates and college acceptance rates are two separate metrics, they are inseparably linked. High acceptance rates do not necessarily translate into high graduation rates, and vice versa. Therefore, it is important for colleges and universities to not only focus on recruiting new students, but also on providing the support and resources necessary for those students to succeed and graduate. Ultimately, improving college completion rates is crucial for ensuring that students are able to reap the benefits of a college education and contribute to the workforce and society as a whole.