Senior Wins County Art Show

LBHS senior Worm Rangel and art instructor, Mrs. Trinidad Gallegos are presented with awards from the city.

Jacob Reyna and Tyler Spadafore

The Los Banos High School Art students participated in the Countywide Merced Arts Council Honors High School Art Show held at the Multicultural Arts Center in Merced from March 8 through April 17. Many students throughout Merced County participated in this art show. There were many amazing and creative entries like photography, pottery, and paintings. LBHS senior, Worm Rangel, took first place in the Three Dimensional artwork category. The artist was recognized and awarded by The State of California Assembly and the Senate.

Rangel won with an art submission called “Expectations.” The piece is shaped as a foot and is made of clay with a cartoon-like bone sticking out at the top. The foot has a flesh-colored heel which enables the art piece to stand on its own. Rangel even cut off human hair in order to add another attention grabbing detail. Rangel said, “I created this piece to catch people’s attention whether it be negative or positive.”

In terms of the details, Rangel said, “I cut off my own hair and glued it onto the piece to add a grotesque form of realism. Most people look at my piece and are disturbed by the uneven skin coloring and the cracks along the exterior.”

When Rangel was asked about why these details were added to the art piece, Rangel stated, “The point of these imperfections is to directly combat what is expected as today’s standard for beauty. If your skin is not perfect, hairless, moisturized, and has every perfect feature, then you are deemed to be beneath others.”  

The Los Banos High School Art Department is putting on its own art show on Friday, April 28 and will be open to the public from 3:40 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Multi-Purpose Building on the high school’s campus. Kona Ice will be present selling $5 Kona Cups in the student parking lot. Come show your support for the LBHS art students and pick up a snow cone while you’re at it.

If you missed the art show at the MAC Gallery and cannot make the art show at Los Banos High School, don’t worry. The Los Banos Arts Council will be showcasing two-dimensional artwork made by our seniors. The art will consist of all of the compositions that were created during the 2022-2023 school year. Come show your support for our LBHS seniors. The viewing and reception will be opened to the public Tuesday, May 23 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. located at 1105 5th St, Los Banos, CA 93635. Admission is free.