Calling All Rock Stars!

Patrick Martinez, Staff Reporter

To all lovers of music, especially rock-and-roll, there will be a concert on January 27 which will feature a few of Los Banos’ very own bands. The acts will primarily be garage bands.  If this is discouraging, keep in mind that the Beetles were considered a garage band.

If you know of any musicians looking for a gig, tell them about this fundraising concert. All of the money made will go to support Los Banos High’s choir. Mr. Faria will also keep his eye open at the concert for new talent that may be interested in singing for him, so singers be prepared!

There will be a variety of bands performing and each will put on sets of about 30 minutes, but some bands may wish to play more, if the audience is willing to listen. This concert is a special one because it is so rare. When was the last time you’ve seen amateur artists actually play their music for an audience?

In today’s day and age genuine live music is so scarce and Faria credits this to the introduction of “disc jockeys” during the time of disco.  Gradually people’s view of music changed from appreciating the wholehearted approach that came out of live music to the desire to hear a perfect sound and the same sound each time they listened to a song. Thus began the era of personal music, which undoubtedly, caused the decline of live, band music.

High school bands used to be allowed to play at dances and other school functions but disc jockeys  became cheaper than paying an entire band of musicians to play music. And so as these musicians were pushed out of the spotlight, a new breed was formed, the Jammers.

The Jammers, emerging from the “Garage Band” type of music, has transformed into the style of music that appeals to musicians who understand that there is a very small chance of actually getting the opportunity to perform their own work and build a reputation for themselves. So these musicians play their instruments together and simply try to compliment their peers and their music.  In other words, they just jam.

It is all very creative, but sad at the same time in the sense that most of their great music will not be heard by the public. They hide out in their garage, creating masterpieces with their friends.  This school event will hopefully showcase their talent.  So if you wish to hear some genuine pieces of music, played live, then come to the Multipurpose building on January 27th and show your support for these aspiring artists!