FFA Collects 1,827 Cans for Annual Food Drive

FFA officer, Walter Borba (left), collects cans for the Salvation Army from FFA member, Suzanne Cardoso.

Sophia Castro, FFA Reporter

The Los Banos FFA chapter is known for their repeated service to the community and this holiday season is no different. Each year FFA members and their families donate nonperishable food items and new toys to donate to local families within the community. In total, there were 1,827 cans donated and over 128 gifts collected.

At the November 7th business meeting, members were asked to bring in canned food and other nonperishable food items to be collected and delivered to the Salvation Army the next day. Los Banos FFA sentinel, Sebastian Greer reports, “We were shocked to see how many cans were collected at our monthly meeting. Our chapter has a history of always collecting many cans, but this year, we reached nearly two thousand which was utterly remarkable.”

After the meeting, cans were tightly packed into various bags and containers and driven to the local Salvation Army where they’d eventually be sorted and repacked for families throughout the Los Banos area.

When the FFA officer team delivered the cans, chapter secretary, Randi Souto commented, “I didn’t realize the scope of our canned food collection until we carried all of the bags out of the van and into the Salvation Army. I hope that this food can help feed many families during the holidays.”

Souto also reflected that the women working at the Salvation Army were thoroughly impressed with the efforts of the Los Banos FFA and are excited to have them back next year.

At the December 5th FFA meeting similar results were shown, but this time with toys. Over 128 gifts for all ages were donated for the annual Kops for Kids toy drive.

On December 8th students came together at the Police Annex in Los Banos in order to wrap presents. Los Banos FFA member and livestock exhibitor, Chloe Emerson stated, “Every year I make it a tradition to help wrap presents. I enjoy serving my community, but besides that, I hope to brighten the holidays for children in our area.”

The Los Banos FFA Chapter is proud of their achievements in helping those less fortunate this winter season and will continue to donate cans and toys yearly. The officer team would like to thank the members, families, advisors, and community for continuously donating.