Los Banos FFA Members are Getting Their Voices Heard

Sophia Castro, FFA Reporter

Public speaking is a skill that is extremely hard to master and even the best can get caught up in a whirlwind of nervous effects while presenting. The Los Banos FFA Chapter has taken note of this and is working energetically to enhance the public speaking section of the program by encouraging members to sign up for local competitions. Through constant practice and assistance from community members and agricultural advisors, Los Banos FFA students are accelerating and eager to participate in future speech related competitions and field days.

Already, the chapter has participated in the Los Banos Resource Conservation District (RCD) annual speech competition in which the topic was, “Based on history, what is your conservation dream and how can Resource Conservation Districts be involved?”

Five competitors that night represented the Los Banos FFA Chapter and each speech was well spoken and uniquely written. The results of the competition are as follows: 3rd place 10th grader Paige Heinnaman, 2nd place 10th grader Siana Barrett, and 1st place 11th grader Sophia Castro.

Currently, the Los Banos FFA Chapter has several students preparing for the Merced/Mariposa Section Speech Competition on Saturday, January 21, 2017, where members will be participating in the creed speaking and job interview events. The FFA creed is a five-paragraph statement written by E.M. Tiffany that describes and outlines the true meaning agricultural life. During the competition, members are expected to recite the creed from memory and answer questions about its significance.

Another public speaking opportunity available on campus is the job interview competition, which allows members to practice the skills needed for seeking employment in the agricultural industry. Written materials, including a cover letter, resume, etc. are expected of each contestant and the manner in which they conduct themselves plays a huge part in judging.

Tenth grader Stephanie Murphy speaks about her efforts in preparing for the competition stating, “I am excited to be learning real world skills within the FFA program such as how to respond to questions during a job interview, and I am enthusiastic for the competition.”

As the school year progresses, the Los Banos FFA Chapter is going to continue their efforts in accelerating the public speaking and communication skills of their members.