ROP Classes Offer Work Experience

Ashley Garcia wears her scrubs for ROP. She wants to attend the University of San Francisco to be a nurse practitioner.

Liz Sanchez, Staff Reporter

Regional Occupational Program (ROP)  is a program that introduces senior students to a set of skills that helps them go into the workforce. Our school offers an ROP Medical program and an ROP Educational program.

ROP is offered as a two period class where students engage in classroom learning, as well as off campus job training.  Students go to certain medical sites around town to learn many medical related skills from experienced nursing staff.  Enrolled students say going to the actual sites is their favorite part of the program. 

Most of the ROP students want to go to college after high school. This program helps students learn a lot of skills that they can use later in life if they choose to pursue a medical-based career. With hands on experience, students learn skills from how to treat a patient to learning the purposes and uses of different medical machines.

There are several students in this program.  Simranpreet Kaur, a senior, is the president of ROP Medical Technology.  “One of my favorite parts of the program is learning and observing procedures that involve helping patients.  And seeing babies too.”  She plans on going to UC Merced to be a physician. Another student,  senior Nathan Azevedo would like to go to UC Merced. Margarita Chavez, senior wants to go to either Stanislaus or UC Davis to be a registered nurse or a vet. Leigh Ann Lopez, senior would like to go to San Joaquin Valley College to be a nurse anesthetist.

Another ROP class offered on campus involves education opportunities where students are paired with an elementary teacher and assist in the classroom with grading work to helping students with lessons.

Students who are interested in taking ROP classes can see their counselors.