Students Showcase Art in Merced Show

Students Showcase Art in Merced Show

Hailey Yates, Staff Reporter

Students submitted various pieces of art for an art show this Friday, February 24 at 5:30 to 7:00 in Merced at the Multicultural Arts Center on Main Street.  Admission is free.

This show is a collection of art from many different schools from our area.  There are many categories of art that will be on display. There will be photography, acrylic/oil watercolor, mixed media, drawings, three dimensional, and digital design.

Visitors will be surprised on how great the students art work actually is.  The show sponsors give awards for some of the best work. Every year that our school has entered in this art show, we have come home with at least two awards.

Mansi Patel, a junior has entered many different pieces of art for this art show. The most impressing work she completed is all her origami. She has been doing origami since she has been in first grade. Patel says many people around her made her want to do origami.  She says, “Growing up, I always had people around me that made simple and cool things from folding paper. The first one in this “series” was … The cootie catcher, which I learned to make around 1st grade.”

She says it takes her on average about 16 hours to make a complex piece.  It’s something she loves to do and the folding of paper is relaxing to her.  It gets her mind off things.