TAP Program Readies Students for the Real World

Pat Martinez, Staff Reporter

What do you want to do after high-school? It’s a tough question, right? Well, through the Transition Adult Program, students who require special education are finding that answering this question is not nearly as daunting of a task as it seems.

The Transition Adult Program or TAP for short is a class that works on site at our campus for the benefit of people who’ve graduated high-school (ages 18-22) on specialized education. These students go through this program to learn life skills that may not be available to them where they are to the rest of us and it is taught by Mrs. Lewis. Mrs. Lewis used to teach Kindergarten and she said that she enjoys helping students especially working with the older students after her years of experience with the younger grades.

TAP has taught this group of students how to answer phones, take interviews, and most importantly, how to cook. The program operates on campus by running a small cafe for the teachers. A menu offering a variety of breakfast or lunch items is offered and teachers can call the TAP room to order their food. The students have learned how to answer the phone and take the orders. Their neighboring room is Mr. McCullough’s who teaches Ag foods which gives them the opportunity to use a variety of cooking tools.

Many of these students have big dreams and the TAP program helps them achieve the level of confidence they would need to begin their dreams. Some want to get day jobs in order to become self-sufficient, and others are looking to make it big in the art world. “The class helps them to go out and get a job that they wouldn’t initially have the opportunity for,” says Mrs. Lewis.

The TAP program works to help their members become educated members of society, and they have programs which will allow their members to attain a degree in college. The students are able to take a certain amount of classes to their capability and the program takes at the very most nine years for the student to achieve a degree. It’s a lot of hard work, but through TAP, these students are able to tell you what they want to do after high school.