Students Experience College Life at the UC Merced Splash Conference

Lizeth Sanchez, Staff reporter

Mr. Gurgen and several Los Banos High students attended the UC Merced’s first Splash Conference in the Central Valley on March 4th.  The college hosted the event to encourage high school students to visit the campus and participate in a variety of classes offered by the faculty and volunteers from the college.  Many high schools from the area were in attendance.

The event started out with students receiving their schedule with their assigned classes. Right after that, volunteers who attend the college gave group tours of the campus and a brief summary of the history behind the school. The volunteers discussed all the benefits and many things the college can offer to their students. After the small tour, participants listened to a speech, and it was very motivational.   After, students started on with their classes from archery to learning how to use art as a political tool. Many clubs were also part of the day, teaching students about the many things the UC Merced College can offer to its students.

This event was an amazing way to learn about the campus and the people who are part of the college.  Also, this event allowed others to meet new people who are also in high school wanting to pursue a college education.

Students will hopefully be able to sign up for this conference next year. Students can talk to their counselor if interested in signing up.  The campus is beautiful and the people are so nice.  Students will experience this campus and hopefully next year, more students will sign up to see UC Merced in person and see the campus first hand.