ROP Interviews Prepare Students for Future Jobs

Pricilla Ceja, Staff Reporter

Did you see students running around, well-dressed and carrying a huge binder last week?  Most of them were freaking out about a certain “P” word? No, these students were not freaking out about prom and trying out their suits and dresses. This students were preparing for Portfolio Day!

Portfolio Day concludes with teachers selecting their winners for “The Award of Excellence” Dinner in Merced on April 11th. The top students  are awarded with this title which can be compared to receiving an “Employee of the Year” award at a job.

Using a scoring guide to pick the winning students, the ROP teachers selected students to go to Merced to be recognized by other students and other teachers and receive their awards. Mrs. Austin’s top students are Steven Gutierrez who had a top score of 99, Christian Suniga, and Mariela Velis. Mrs Head’s picks are Kalitin Downward, Jackeline Pineda, and Eva Mortin. Mr Barcellos’s top student is Jensen Chase. Mrs Guintini had many students with high scores and her top students were Rebeca Velis, Margarita Chavez, Maricela Venezuela, Jorge Ortiz, and Jaqueline Apodaca.

Before Christmas break, the ROP (Regional Occupation Program) students practiced interviewing and creating portfolios for future jobs.

The interviews are like a typical job interview. The students dress to impress, with nice shirts, blazers, hair up, face nice and shaved, and everything a potential employer would want in a person representing your job.

To prepare for the interview, students have to practice, practice, practice. They are given a rubric that shows what they will be tested on. Most students could have a practice interview with the rubric, once given a “score” they practice on the things they didn’t score high on, helping them for the the actual interviews.

The interviews are given by local businesses, much like people from the Los Banos Community Center and school district.

The portfolio they make is a big deal and it helps a lot of students who have no idea how to get a job after or during high school. The portfolio is a binder that consist of a resume, job application, a cover letter, and a self assessment.

At the end of the process, students gain confidence in themselves and their ability to approach an interview a little easier in the future.