ARC presented in Los Banos High School

Jorge Ortiz, Staff Reporter

A guest speaker, Jesus Alejandre for Adventure Risk Challenge (ARC) made an appearance at LBHS for the first time.  He presented information about the program and the benefits in participating in the course.

ARC has been around since 2004 helping adolescents around the Central Valley in literacy and leadership. Stationed in Yosemite, this program has a max of 12 spots for participants. To pick who attends, they hold a free, three-day course which gives a little summary of what the participants will be doing in Yosemite.

The course is 40 days which are split so half of the time is spent doing school type work in a classroom. The other half is spent outside in the wilderness. The school work is more creative writing with science and leadership classes. When students are not in the classroom, it is an outside learning environment. Every outside day is spent with a hike then setting up camp and activities. Every day has different physical  and mental challenges to push students to get stronger without getting pushed past their breaking point.

In this program, students will experience lots of activities that most people dream of. Since this course takes place in Yosemite, students will be able to rock climb, rappel, rafting, kayak, and more. There are also some mountain peaks where students will have some of the best views possible in Yosemite. Students will learn while having fun.

There is a schedule in place throughout the forty days so students always know what is happening. This schedule is more of an outline of what should happen but can be changed if time is needed to run a little off schedule. There are summer interns that guide the participants as well as employees of ARC. These leaders have training and experience in the program. The program has rules and guidelines in place so it is really safe.

If you have any more questions about ARC, contact me or talk to Mrs.Ortiz in room 512.