The student news site of Los Banos High School

PawPrint

• Senior Quotes For Yearbook Due Nov. 9

• Daylight Saving Time Change Nov.5

• Halloween Oct 31

• October 30: No School

• Driver's Ed starting Oct. 23 during 7th period Room 54

• Girls Interested in Playing Basketball? Rm 703

• College Applications/Information Rm 33

• Limited Number of Yearbooks. Buy Yours TODAY!!

Principal Speaks Out About Improvements

2280

Colten Graham and Paulo Campos

School improvements and “to-do tasks” are never ending, according to Mr. Veli Gurgen, principal.  There are many concerns and questions about needed tasks on the his mind so far this year.

Some campus improvements done over the summer include:  new PRIDE signs to the quad to accompany the PBIS program, changed air conditioner filters across campus, added new carpet in five classrooms, shampooed, waxed and washed the classrooms and gym.  

Improvements also involve staff and students, seniors in particular.  LBHS automatically enrolls all seniors to the Merced College. Also, Merced College courses are available to students on the school campus from English 1A, Math C, Guidance, and Computer Science.  Also, student and staff recognition will continue to reward nominated individuals through the PBIS program.

Mr. Gurgen said, “Well, kids last year wanted a computer science class, so we have been looking for a teacher to bring it over. It’s hard to find a teacher, but we did work with Merced College to bring a computer science for juniors and seniors after schoool.”

Some future things to look forward to which will help make this year successful include:  rewards for good attendance, behavior, spirit, and getting to class on time, and games at assemblies to involve more students and help create more tiger pride and enthusiasm.

Mr. Gurgen mentioned new social media ideas.  He hopes to expand the social media outlook of  the school by improving videos, having a more interactive Twitter, and encouraging students to follow the social media of Los Banos High School.

There are still issues Mr. Gurgen would like to accomplish for the school. There is his long battle with renovating the old pool for school use. He expresses that in order to have a pool, parents and students need to not come to him about a pool, but to the school district and board and request for a pool or improvements done to get the pool up and working again.

Architecture was also discussed, and Gurgen says that the school needs a fresh look, with new bathrooms and renovations with the buildings because the school was established in 1966, and the buildings have been almost the same ever since.

Mr. Gurgen is highly energetic and has a very positive outlook for the upcoming year, claiming that the school has fantastic teachers and faculty.

“I am excited; fantastic staff, all classes are fully staffed, the custodial team worked hard over the summer to get the school ready. There’s still a lot of work to be done, there’s no denying that, but we made some good progress last year. We have great clubs, continuing clubs, senior activities, and we got an energetic class assembly,” said Mr. Gurgen.

He added, “It’s going to take all of us to be united. This one message is what we need to say every chance we get.”

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Principal Speaks Out About Improvements”

1. anonymous on September 29th, 2017 12:27 pm

We really need clean bathrooms.

[Reply]

2. Sidney on September 29th, 2017 12:28 pm

I think this is very interesting. It is always nice to hear about what is being improved around our school and what the school hopes to fix in the future.

[Reply]

3. Meghan Mendoza on September 29th, 2017 12:31 pm

I’m glad that the principal is finally trying to increase school spirit and improve the bathrooms. This article was very helpful, because now I know what Mr.Gurgen is planning to to improve the school.

[Reply]

4. Angelyss Rincon on September 29th, 2017 12:34 pm

It will be nice to improve some classes, bathrooms, and involve new classes for people who are interested in different activities. Even with social media it will spread the ideas of the school and have feedback from others.

[Reply]

5. Faith Zako on September 29th, 2017 12:34 pm

This is great to hear! It is nice to know that our school’s principal understands our desires for an improved bathroom, haha (^ – ^)~~~!
    Student attitudes tend to largely depend on their environment, and a clean campus would definitely help.
    Thank you for writing this article!

[Reply]

6. Avneet Sarai on September 29th, 2017 12:36 pm

This article was very informative regarding the improvements that are going to be taking place at our school, hopefully very soon. Overall, I enjoyed reading the article especially the part that brought hope for new bathrooms.

[Reply]

7. Josh Salgado on September 29th, 2017 1:22 pm

This school does need improvements and good that there improving this school , for a better and more modern place.

[Reply]

8. Dora Hernandez on September 29th, 2017 1:28 pm

It’s great to keep improving the school efficiently. And to open to new ideas and ways to change what needs to improve.

[Reply]

9. Siana Barrett on September 29th, 2017 9:41 pm

I am very glad that our school is improving their online outreach program to reach out to more students, parents, and the community.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Principal Speaks Out About Improvements

News

High Demand for McDonald’s Szechuan Sauce

News

Rest in Peace Tom Petty

• News

Puerto Rico Aftermath

News

Stolen Bikes and Skateboards On the Rise

• News

Los Banos Alumni Changing the World

• News

National Day Calendar Planned

News

The Big Tate at the Gate

News

PRIDE Movement! How Will It Benefit Campus Life?

News

Math Department Short on Supplies

News

Big Bucks, Big Screen Coming Soon!

Principal Speaks Out About Improvements