Fundraising my dudes!

Fundraising my dudes!

Hannah Padron, Staff Reporter

Because it is the beginning of the year, all sports, clubs and organizations are starting up with meeting and events and so are their various fundraisers.

Members of the History Society or LULAC are lugging boxes of lollipops and chocolate around campus. The volleyball team, FFA, football team, and band kids have also been fundraising through dinner ticket sales.

Mr. Coleman, the adviser of the History Society, listed t-shirts and the big field trip to Hearst Castle as to how the money from their fundraisers will be used.

However, selling candy on campus has officially been banned as of September 9. Boxes of candy will be confiscated if seen due to the Wellness Act set in place by former first lady Michelle Obama.

This act prohibits the sale of food items during school hours in attempt to benefit students diets. Complaints about the sales from teachers in a singular department on campus also added to the tightening of rules pertaining to the fundraising. Students were not supposed to be selling prior to this date, but now students really can’t sell during school hours…. supposedly.

Clubs on campus are being told to find fundraisers that are not food related to raise money, and this is a problem. The only thing that high school students are sure to buy time and time again is food. There are non-food related options for fundraising, but it will be hard to gain the same amount of profit as food fundraisers do. Some clubs center their fundraising around candy sales, so it will be interesting to see how this newly enforced rule will play out.

Not everyone enjoys the fundraising aspect of a team or club.  While walking to 3rd period the other day, 11th grader Emma Hernandez was asked how she felt about fundraising. A freshman screamed from somewhere behind her. She replied, “That’s how I feel about it.”

Junior Nathaniel Ruiz also had a couple bits of constructive criticism when asked about fundraising. “It’s a burden on students with busy schedules,” he stated, “We need to find better ways to raise money for our clubs.”

Fundraising being a ‘burden’ is a reality when students have to be on constant alert to prevent boxes of goods from being confiscated. Even if the candies and other goods are being sold ‘under the table,’ it is for a good cause.

So obviously, it is not that students LOVE fundraising, but they understand that it needs to be done in order to fund the activities that we love doing.

Students have been relying on those lollipops to stay awake in class for the past week, so buying an entire box might come in handy, just don’t get caught.