The student news site of Los Banos High School

PawPrint

• Senior Quotes For Yearbook Due Nov. 9

• Daylight Saving Time Change Nov.5

• Halloween Oct 31

• October 30: No School

• Driver's Ed starting Oct. 23 during 7th period Room 54

• Girls Interested in Playing Basketball? Rm 703

• College Applications/Information Rm 33

• Limited Number of Yearbooks. Buy Yours TODAY!!

National Day Calendar Planned

Susie Pena, Staff Reporter

National Day Calendar  is the authoritative source for fun, unusual and unique National Days! There are now national days for everything from sourdough bread  on April 1, to batteries on Feb. 18. It seems Americans need to commemorate something every day.

According to the website, National Day Calendar, a decision on making a new day is made by a special committee, and 30 new topics for days are said to be added a year. Benefits of getting a national day include a special press release, inclusion on the National Day Calendar website, a media alert to people that need to know about your special day, and a framed certificate. Of course these days are not enforced by the government, but they make for interesting conversation starters.

On any given day in America, there are upwards of half a dozen fake holidays to observe, from the painfully mundane National Tape Measure Day, July 14 to the flat-out bizarre National Pro-Life Cupcake Day, October 9.

In January of 2013, Marlo Anderson began compiling these days on the website National Day Calendar. He too had started to see an increased interest in unofficial national holidays and wanted to investigate their origins. He has since put together a list of 1,100 days.

Though Congress can vote on resolutions to recognize certain days, like it did with Pie Day in 2009, which passed despite nay votes from nine other representatives, most remain entirely unofficial.

Next Monday is National Name Your Car day, Tuesday is National Boyfriend day, Wednesday is National Taco day, Thursday is National Do Something Nice day and Friday is National Noodle day!

1 Comment

One Response to “National Day Calendar Planned”

1. Laura Albornoz on September 29th, 2017 12:27 pm

ooo coool

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

National Day Calendar Planned