Senior English Class Holds Gun Debate

Getty Images/iStockphoto

American Gun Laws

Diego Reynoso, Staff Reporter

Mrs. Kruger’s senior classes for CSU ERWC held gun debates on October 24 and 25. This is a very controversial topic, and students had some very interesting things to say on this topic.

“I love guns, and I think taking them away would be bad,” said Stephanie Escobedo, who is in Kruger’s second period pro-gun side. “In WWII, Hitler took away guns, leaving the citizens defenseless against the Nazi’s evil reign.”

“I think taking away guns is a bad idea, that way only criminals would be able to get them,” said Anthony Campos from Kruger’s fifth period, who is not on a team, but is rooting for the pro-gun side.

“I’ve always been pro-gun,” said Bryant Flores from Mrs. Kruger’s second period, “but I joined the anti-gun side for the debate because they had a lack of members, and I wanted to get a different perspective of the argument.”

“I’m not sure on my stance, but I joined the anti-gun side because of the recent shootings. I don’t hate guns, but maybe there should be regulations,” said Ana Martinez from Kruger’s second period.

“My family has experienced being caught in acts of gun violence,” said Kalia Daniels from Kruger’s second period anti-gun team.

Mrs. Kruger promised for an unbiased decision of which team will win the debate. Each class had different sides win the argument. Even if the debate is controversial, students still were not scared to give their opinions on the topic. Mrs. Kruger was pleased with the way her students “handled the debate maturely and were respectful of the views of their peers.”