MESA Club Takes Fifth Place in Competition

Evelyn Rodriguez, Staff Reporter

Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) Club placed fifth place in a robotics competition held at Fresno State last month.

The teams had to make a robot and that could pass an obstacle course. The students had to be prepared to improvise on any extra steps needed to complete the task.

Competition qualifications included teams had to be in MESA, attend all Saturday academies, and complete an arduino training, a program they use for the robot. The students used a Lego mind storm kit for the robot.

The objective was to design and construct a robot that could complete all of the following items in an obstacle course from start to finish. The course consisted of  two line tracking, a 360 degree turn,  picking up objects, dropping an object in a zone,  and pushing a box to the finish line. The team received extra points if they could sound an alarm and turn on/off lights.  If the team did not finish the course, then they received zero points. In addition, each team had two trials before the competition began.  The judges determined the number of rounds and the time to complete the course. 

Ms. Fajardo and Mr. Tugman, advisers to the club helped members prepare for this event.  Meetings are every Tuesday at lunch where students review the rules of competitions and kits and programs are provided for students to start working on upcoming events.

Ms. Fajardo commented, “My goal this year for MESA is to recruit more people and to have the robots get better and better.”

Another competition will be held on December 2.

MESA helps thousands of students to become engineers, scientists and other math-based professionals urgently needed by industry. The club provides activities and hands-on competitions.

If you are interested in this club, see Ms. Fajardo or Mr. Tugman.