What happened to our school Mascot?

Jorge Ortiz, Staff reporter

LBHS does not have a school mascot yet this year.

School mascots have been around bringing good luck to schools for years. School mascots first became famous in the mid-20th century. Since then schools have been using mascots to help their teams and inspire students to have pride, usually at football games and basketball games.   In turn, it is thought that school spirit will also encourage players to play better and win more games.

Some LBHS students question,”Where is our mascot?,” wondering why we don’t have a mascot this year. LBHS has two mascot costumes available for the school to use. A student is needed to be the mascot. Mr. Joe Barcellos, teacher and ASB adviser says, “Nobody has volunteered.”

To be the mascot, a student needs to be responsible and follow the duties of a school mascot. The mascot would have to literally keep the hat on from the costume as some children are scared when an animal takes their head off and put it back on. A school mascot would also have to make it to every game. The mascot also costs a lot of money as the suit would have to be washed, repaired, and transported. It is like having another player but the person would need to take care of the suit because repairs cost a lot of money, so it is not a job for anyone.

So if you think you are up for the task, please take the initiative and talk to Mr. Barcellos about being the school mascot.  Both a boy and girl spot is available.  Help bring school spirit to our events.  Put on the costume and be our school mascot.