Shirley Liu Accomplishes Winning Streak

Luke Young, Staff Reporter

Can you imagine going your entire school sports career and never losing a game?  Four years of wins?  Senior athlete Shirley Liu has never lost a tennis match in her four years of high school which is a very impressive feat to have accomplished. It all started when one of her mom’s friends suggested that she should play tennis. “I started playing tennis when I was ten, but started playing matches my freshman year,” Liu said.

Mrs. Lynn Barcellos, Liu’s coach said, “Shirley was such a pleasure to coach. One of those special athletes that you can show something to once and gets it. Always willing to learn and improve.”

Because of her natural talent, Liu had to go through some difficulties with her team during her freshman year. “There were tensions between other seniors on my team in the beginning.”  But over time, her teammates became a team.

Liu was a singles player, and she practiced with her brother in the summer and during the season.

“I’m more of a steady player. I play at a constant tempo. I hit down L shots, across the court shots, and drop shots”. Liu stated.

“She is one of those special players that can change her game depending on the style of player she’s playing, ” said Mrs. Barcellos.  She added, “Shirley is an athlete who puts in the extra time. Great sportsmanship and well liked by all the teams, ” said Mrs. Barcellos.

One of Liu’s tennis idols is Serena Williams who was ranked number one on eight occasions from 2002 to 2017. “Since tennis is such an individual sport, it has taught me to be focused and determined,” said Liu.

Unfortunately, Liu will not be aiming for any tennis scholarships for college as she believes her academics will get her further in school, but she stated, “I’m going to try to play club tennis,” which means it won’t be the end for her tennis career.

According to Liu, “Despite the score at the end of the match, whether you lose or win, there’s always something there for you to gain. Every match is a learning experience. You can lose and be upset and frustrated about it, but you’re not going to get better unless you try to figure out what you did wrong and become a better player.”