New Year, New Laws: Highlights

Hannah Padron, Staff Reporter

As the title says, January 1st brought the enforcement of several new state laws. 

While the rest of the world was bracing for the arrival and hope of the new year, Californians were bracing for something greener.

And no, I’m not talking about Vegans or the Grinch, I’m talking about Marijuana.

No, I didn’t misspell anything, marijuana is now legal to sell and cultivate in the great republic of California!

BUT!

You must be 21 and older to purchase it… but who are we kidding? Many people in the state and across the country have been smoking for years, no matter their age. The only difference now, is that anyone can buy and sell it without having to fear incarceration, and it’s way more expensive. A 15% levy will be included with all (legal) marijuana purchases in the state.

1. Tampons!:

All schools grades 6-12 (that have a 40% poverty rate) are now required to supply their female students with tampons, free of charge. This is due to the newfound knowledge that lack of feminine hygiene products affects performances in school.

1. Changing stations in men’s restrooms:

Men no longer have to struggle to find a place to change their children. Malls, sports arenas, and other buildings that house large amounts of people are now required by law to install these stations, or to create a designated area for both men and women to tend to their children.

1. Gun Restrictions:

There are new gun restrictions being enforced on formally convicted felons, meaning that they must give up their weapons if asked to do so. Also, online ammunition sales will be sent to a nearby store/establishment, not directly to a home.

1. Sanctuary State Status:

The state of California will firmly maintain its status as a sanctuary state. State and local law enforcement will not be legally able to use their own money or colleagues to investigate, detain or arrest any resident for immigration purposes. While the act is praised by many, others argue that the status will split the connections between local and federal law enforcement.

Cited:

Yan, Holly. “It’s not just pot: California’s legislating guns, tampons and diaper changes in 2018” CNN Politics 3 Jan 2018: 1