PBIS: Students Rewarded for Good Behavior

Pat Martinez, Staff Reporter

Preventive Behavioral Intervention System (PBIS) awarded 649 students for good behavior on January 11 with an extended lunch time and a taco lunch.  Students enjoyed bounce houses, basketball, and hanging out with friends.

Students who had no behavior issues were invited to enjoy the event.  With neon green wristbands, students were allowed entrance into the event at lunch and time cut heavily into fifth period. 

There were some issues with this first time event.  Here are a list of a few problems we noticed.  Some deserving students were not on the list and did not receive wristbands.  Some students who had detentions or suspensions did get an invite to attend, even though they should not have.  Students were offering their wristband to friends who did not get invited.  The line to check the master list in the office was extremely too long for the number of students who had to check their status.  The tacos ran out and not every one received a lunch.

“It was unorganized because children who had been suspended were allowed to go and other kids who had clean records didn’t receive a wristband. When asked the office workers relied only on the list and didn’t actually check our records,” said a student who wishes to remain anonymous. They did not get a wristband.

Administrators will continue to improve these events for students.  They understand the need to recognize students and hope to do more fun activities in the future.  Mr. Gurgen, principal said, “It was a great start to bring back student recognition.  There’s more work to do, but the future looks bright.”

The students who didn’t receive a wristband reported to their fifth period and worked through a PBIS lesson which consisted of the proper way to enter the library.