Upcoming Film Festival!

Get ready to film

Paulo Campos, Staff Reporter

Is there not a better time for young filmmakers today to go out, get a camera, and film something they feel passionate about?

Los Banos High School certainly does, as the first film festival will be hosted here and sponsored by the Photography Club. The festival will include a first, second, and third prize for the best films, and the topic for film is Los Banos Culture. Submissions will be due before the spring art show, usually around mid or the end of April.

Students should not feel discouraged about the topic, if it sounds very typical. Culture could not just be about ethnicity cultures or racial cultures, but also culture of a media, genre, fandom, or other subgroups that are unique. For example, Star Trek has their own culture, complete with phrases, conventions, themed parties, and celebration of days tied to the movies. So if students felt the topic is very limited, do not be discouraged, as there is numerous topics and groups with unique culture to film about.

It should also be said that all genres are open, from action, to documentary, to comedy, or mockumentary. These genres and countless genres could be meshed and can be the basis of films. For example (using the Star Trek example), the genre could be horror, and the film´s premise could be the utter frightening or disturbing culture of Star Trek. Possibilities for combinations of subject and genres are endless, as long as the filmmaker can create it in a unique way.

It is highly encouraged that students spread the word, as potential filmmakers who have never had their shot or purpose to create their film, now have the opportunity to showcase their talents. Students who have never filmed, like Victoria Torres, junior, are excited,“I’m so excited. Me: wants to film.”

Mr. Danner, advisor for Photography club says,¨I think it will be a great opportunity to share their creativity and explore the culture of Los Banos.¨

See Mr. Danner for information about the upcoming film festival and be sure to stay updated.