Biliteracy Students Win Seals

Thirteen students recently earned a biliteracy seal after completing a multi-step process showcasing their language abilities.  They include:    Victoria Torres, Laura Albornoz, Jessica Morales, Stephanie Galvan, Victor Torres, Fatima Rodriguez, Keila Vidals, Amanda”Aiden” Pantoja, Inez Iñiguez, Linda Pelayo, Julia Lopez, David Flores, and Denise Cornejo.

Since 2011 the Merced County office of education has been offering students this opportunity to undergo a rigorous process of demonstrating their literacy in more than one language.  The first step after enrolling to the program around October is to submit an “Autobiography in English” in which they share their experiences with being multicultural. If students receive a score of 3, 4 or 5, they move on to the next step.

The second step is to write a timed on demand essay in their target language.  If they pass, they are invited to participate in an interview in both languages, sometimes three languages.  At the end, students who receive at least 16 points, get recognized at county and district levels, receiving a special stamp in their diplomas at graduation.

Mrs. Curutchague assisted her students through the process and said, “This program has a special meaning to me personally because I am proud to see  my students improvement in  Spanish reading, writing and oral communication.  A great number of this students have been my students for at least three years, so I feel extremely proud.”

The opportunity to work toward a seal is offered each year starting in the fall.  If interested, see Mrs. Curutchague in room 40.