Cabin Leader Jobs at Camp Green Meadows Worthwhile

David Flores, Staff Reporter

If you are in high school and are looking for something to do for the community participate in Camp Green Meadows. 

When I was first told about it by a friend,  I instantly knew I needed to go. This trip takes only sixth graders up to stay 4-5 days in Camp Green Meadows located in Fish Camp. Teachers also go up with the students but since the students will be sleeping up there they have to be watched by someone in their cabin.

That’s where we, the cabin leaders come in. Cabin Leaders are suppose to watch the students 22 hours a day, the two hours are for the break provided for Cabin Leaders to shower, hike, work, or even get some much needed sleep. We watch them in classes, in the cabin, (where the students sleep and keep their belongs) in the dining room, during showers and etc.

This is not for everyone as I have seen some Cabin Leaders just leave as they couldn’t handle the job. Like Principal Basset said,”If you aren’t tired by the end of the week, then you didn’t do the job right.”

The Outdoor School also has teachers called Naturalists. They enforce and take care of the rules. When Cabin leaders are having trouble with a student all they have to do is take them to a designated room where the student will receive a referral from the naturalist and also a talk of why they received it.

The punishment system up in Camp Green Meadows is very reasonable and has taught me many ways to deal with kids. Thanks to this program my leadership skills have increased and also my independent skills. Camp Green Meadows shows kids how to be young adults and at the same time teaches us how to be true leaders and how to do it right.

“The job as a cabin leaders is very hard, but you get the hang of it,” said Elena Gutierrez (12). “After my trip, my skills increased and anyone who has the ability and grades to go should definitely go.”

”The trip was one I never would have wanted to do, but now that I did it, I am glad,” said Hannah Vera (12). 

Make this trip your goal as this is one you will never regret.  Listen for more information during period 4 bulletin announcements.