College Week Offers Opportunities

Juniors Delilah Barrera and Yamilet Novoa wear their College gear.

Julissa Ochoa, Staff Reporter

College Week was filled with fun events here at LBHS from college gear on Tuesday, SAT/ACT registration workshop on Wednesday, college door decorating contest on Thursday, and the main event, the college fair on Friday to expose students to universities, colleges, and the military.

The college fair was a complete success and “is always a success thanks to the help of Mr. Gurgen,” said Mr. Magallanes, counselor.

The college fair had representatives from Merced College, Fresno State, Stanislaus State, San Jose State University, and more. Mr. Magallanes’ goal for continuing this event is to expose students to post second options for example the military or community college. The gym was filled with students asking questions and participating in games to win college pendants.

Bianey Esparza, senior commented that “this is a great opportunity to inform all students, especially seniors of their options and help them chose a path.”

Apart from this event Mr. Magallanes said he plans to do college application workshops in October and November on Wednesdays. He also commented that in the future he will speak to all seniors and assist them in completing college applications in UC and CSUs. This event encourages and helps students who are seeking help to attend a university or college.

Lastly, Magallanes ended the interview saying that ” if students have suggestions, I’m open to hear that.”

College gear Tuesday and the college door decorating contest were also a success due to all the hard work and the participation of students. During break, students were able to see all the creative doors decorated and vote on their favorite. Doors ranged from San Jose State, Stanford University to Fresno State and the University of Hawaii. Mrs. Sandoval’s 4th period students also prepared a song for all students and staff who stopped by her class to check out her Hawaii theme door and San Jose State door participants had a student play the alma mater on a guitar for students who passed by the room.

The final prize, the pizza party was awarded to Ms. DeGough’s class for her “Admission Accomplished” door featuring students who were accepted into colleges.