Los Banos Tigers vs Dos Palos Broncos. WHAT A GAME!

Ale Martinez, Staff Reporter

August 17, 2018 was the Tigers’ first game of the football season, and it is a big deal. The Los Banos Tigers have won the Colten Bailey trophy for 10 years in a row, actually make that 11 years now. The game was held at the Dos Palos high school field.

The Tiger spirit was wild. The people out their were in a blackout. Playing music, cheering on their team, and even if they were not winning, the Tiger crowd kept up the momentum.   They also were very supportive when they were down points by continuing to cheer the team on. (check out our other article on tiger spirit).

Madison Avila, a senior said, ¨The new football season is nerve-wracking, but also exciting because I get to see how well they will do this year. ¨ 

First quarter kicked off to DP on the 44 yard line. 10 yard flag on LB touchdown,  DP extra point is good. At 10:50, the score is 7-0. Kickoff to LB on the 15 yd line, ball on 23 yard line gets an interception for DP on 48 yard line.  DP Quarterback sacked on 39 yard line pushed back on 2&13 and 4th down is incomplete.

Second quarter has a delay ball fumbled on DP ball 3rd & 13 on 20 yd stopped by LB . During this quarter a DP player was injured, but he walked off the field. 

Third quarter featured DP ran the ball and lost it for the first five minutes. When the Tigers took it, they got first downs and a touchdown.  It was a close one and up to the Tigers to come back and win it. LB had the ball 3 & 11 complete on the second yard line 2nd & goal with a Tigers touchdown. The end of 3rd quarter was  14- 7 3.

Fourth quarter had LB 1st & goal incomplete, 2nd & goal TD for Tigers 14- 14 tied at 11:07. Big pass on DP to the 10 yard line down to second goal touchdown DP 20-14. LB gets the ball  back and got the yardage all the way to the 15. They got a touchdown tying it again 20-20. At 44 seconds left, DP intercepts, but they run out of time and end up in over time.

Overtime. Tigers have the ball, all the way down till the 6 line. They get a 2nd and goal, Tigers win 26-20. Their 11 year streak of winning the Colten Bale trophy continues. Go tigers!