Seniors: Apply for Free Financial Aid

Brandon Mandujano, Staff Reporter

To any and all call 2019 seniors looking to apply for college or vocational schools, it is important to sign up for financial aid.

While application deadlines for CSUs, UCs, and California Community Colleges are approaching, it may be best to apply for financial aid first. Even if you do not plan to enroll in a two year or four year college, vocational and training schools may also accept federal financial aid.

For more information and for help, class presentations will be held in senior government and economy classes October 8-9.  A financial aid night for both students and parents will be held on Oct 9 in the evening. Parents can attend an English speaking session in the MPB room and Spanish speaking parents can hear it in the computer lab. Staff and financial aid experts will help students and parents to sign up for financial aid.

Financial aid is more important to students beyond just to help them with tuition; it can help with books and other fees. Moreover, most people qualify for some aid or for federal student loans, which have a much lower interest rate. And if students still don’t think they will qualify, just give it a try, it may bring a surprise, and besides it’s free to do! No student ever has to pay anyone to fill it out, just go to https://fafsa.ed.gov.

Student counselor, Mr. Magallanes says, “Fafsa opens October 1st.  The goal is for students to apply for college at the same time.”

Students may think their job is done once they apply for financial aid, but be sure to work on applications for CSUs, UCs, and any other college you may want to attend, because the deadlines are approaching fast. Mr. Magallanes also reminds students to check emails regularly as colleges and scholarships will periodically email information.

For help with application visit your counselors or Mrs. DeGough, and if you want information specific to financial aid, go to our financial aid night.