PawPrint

• Prom April 13

• Spring Break March 23-31

• Career Week March 11-15

• SAT Test March 9

• Tutoring Every Day in the Library 3-4 p.m.

• Buy A Yearbook! Room 43

Interact Club Hosts Socktober Drive

Donate new socks for the homeless

Back to Article
Back to Article

Interact Club Hosts Socktober Drive

Interact Club carries on the tradition of Soctober Drive, collecting socks for the homeless.

staff

staff

staff

Angelica Sanchez, Staff Reporter

Update:  Interact club collected 364 new pairs of socks for the homeless.  Socks were delivered to the Salvation Army on 4th Street.

In 1962, was the very first Interact Club which was authorized at Melbourne High School, Florida, USA on November 5, 1962. The name “Interact” came from combining the words “international” and “action.” The Interact is a rotary sponsored service organization similar for young teenagers (ages 14-18 years) that fosters leadership and responsible citizenship and promotes international understanding and peace the purpose and fellowship. Los Banos High School’s Interact Club has about 60 or more students involved this year. The club is part of the local Rotary Club which is part of a nationwide organization to promote peace, fight disease, and provide clean water, sanitation, and hygiene, to name a few.

This October the Interact club is conducting a Socktober Drive, collecting donated new socks for the homeless. With cold weather arriving, club members don’t want homeless people having cold feet, so they’re doing a drive to donate new socks.

The club also will have a fundraiser for the holidays.  This December the club will have Candy Grams, which involves selling candy canes with a message, and the money they raise will be used for the Angel Tree.  The Angel Tree is a tree decorated with paper angels, each with a reference to a child from a family in need and a Christmas wish. It’s one of many activities organized by volunteers to help people in need.

The Interact Club President is Holly Ballez, (12) said, “we decided to do this collection because it was very successful last year. We decided on socks because its something that everybody takes for granted, even though we all use them in the cold, winter months.”

Teacher and student involvement is critical to fundraisers and to the foundation of the club.  Ballez said, “we have had numerous teachers be involved in this activity. They are all very welcoming to letting us keep boxes in their classes for the collection.”

Socks will be collected at the end of the month and sent to various organizations such as the Salvation Army.

“Anyone could participate by donating socks to any one of the boxes around campus. You will be able to find the boxes in classrooms and the office(s).”

“Interact is a great way to get involved in your community and give back. The community service hours look great on college applications, and it just feels great to help out.”

It’s not too late to sign up to join the Interact Club Tigers! Join today.  An extra hand wouldn’t hurt!

Angelica Sanchez, Staff Reporter

What's up Tigers! I'm Angelica. I'm a senior and ready for an interesting year! I like to draw and paint. I'm a funny and nice person once you really get...