Legendary Winning Streak for Tennis Ends

Staff

Ms. Barcellos, tennis coach at LBHS

Quentin Barcellos, Staff Reporter

The girls tennis team had a winning streak that lasted for an astonishing eight and a half years. A great coach, Mrs. Lynn Barcellos, and great players allowed them to achieve wins for such a long period.

The winning streak for the girls tennis team began in 2010 and lasted all the way until 2018. They were able to accumulate 105 wins without a single loss. No other girls tennis team in Western Athletic Conference (WAC) history has ever been able to keep such a long winning streak.

Ms. Barcellos has been the coach at Los Banos High School for the past 25 years. It is thanks to her great coaching and her players’ hard work that allowed them to achieve so many consecutive wins.

When asked how they were able to keep such a long winning streak, she replied, “Many of the girls were willing to put the extra time in, not just practice time but on the weekends to keep getting better.”

The 105 wins definitely show that the extra hours of practicing were worth it.

Since its beginnings in 2010 and continuing until 2018, Barcellos had to continue the streak despite the fact that she had a whole set of players throughout the years. In 2014, the entire 2010 group graduated. This means the new tennis players that came in during that time and in 2014 were able to keep the winning streak alive.

Only this year, things changed.  The streak ended thanks to a league change up with new competition.  

The new school in our league, Mountain House, was the school that ended the streak, causing the LB tennis team to lose for the first time in years. Before playing Mountain House, the girls tennis team had three matches prior to this year which they won. They ended up losing to Mountain House 2-7.

Hopefully, they can start another winning streak soon.