Teacher Spotlight on Mrs. Curutchague

Julissa Ochoa

Mrs. Curutchague poses in front of her blue and white Argentina flag.

Julissa Ochoa, Staff Reporter

Mrs. Curutchague, a Spanish teacher also well-known as Mrs. C. has been part of the LBHS Spanish department for eight years out of her 17 years of teaching.

Mrs. Curutchague is married with two beautiful daughters, ages 10 and 13. “This month will be my 21st year of marriage,” she shared.

The two love birds met when they were both vacationing in Cancun. At the time he was living in San Francisco, and she still lived in Argentina. From the moment they both left Cancun, they communicated the old fashion way, writing letters. This lasted for about six months until she decided to come to come to the U.S. The most difficult obstacle for her when arriving in the U.S. was adapting to the American culture and trying to get a job.

Mrs. Curutchague grew up in Buenos Aires, Argentina, a big city with over 30 million people. Before finding her passion as a teacher, she went through many different jobs. In Argentina she was a travel agent, a five star hotel phone operator, and a house keeping manager in where she employed people as maids in the hotel. When she arrived in the U. S., she was an employee at restaurants and coffee shops and also worked at Office Depot for some time. She attended Cal State Hayward that is now known as Cal State East Bay.

In her free time she says she is a taxi for her daughters, in which she is left with very little time for herself.

She never knew she wanted to teach until she had a job at her community college where she tutored for English, English Language Development (ELD) and Spanish. Through this job, Mrs. C realized she really wanted to become a teacher. Mrs. C says she is passionate about her job and there is no other job in the world she would rather do. Her favorite thing about the job is when she is able to see when a student who did not understand before finally has a light in his eye.  This shows her they finally got it.

She stated “I really enjoy these moments.”

Her first teaching job was in Fremont, California and her second one was in San Lorenzo, California where she taught for seven years. Her final stop was here in Los Banos High School. She is currently taking part in a field trip on Saturday, December 1, where the Spanish Club will see El Teatro Campesino perform their Christmas play in the San Juan Bautista Mission.  If you are interested, you can pick up your permission slips from her in room 40 or Mrs. Aguilar in room 39.