Street Parking Turns Into No Parking Zone

Lizbeth Martinez, Staff Reporter

October 19, 2018, was the first day that students did not park in the back of the school on 11th Street. According to assistant principal Mr. Bencomo, the no parking zone was determined by a company hired from Los Banos Unified School district. The company visited both high schools and made some suggestions that would help improve safety.

This company had recommended that the school have one entrance and exit for teachers and another for students. The school took this suggestion and decided to close the back gate in the mornings, since it was more of a safety concern for students.

“It is very dangerous in the morning, because students are parking and walking in the street while there are cars in the road,” Mr. Bencomo explained.

He has noticed that it has been less crowded ever since it has become a no parking zone, and they’ve closed the back gate. He said the estimated amount to put the red zone in on 11th Street is about $16,000 to around $19,000. He is still not sure if this money is coming from the school district or our school funds.

Students’ concerns about the student parking lot on are on the rise, and many want to know what the school was going to do with the recent accidents, and the need to repaint the parking lines. Mr. Bencomo said that the school has recently been putting up cameras around the school, but says that the parking lot would be the last place they would add cameras.

“Security cameras are very expensive. It’s about $120,000 to install them,” he replied. In the future he hopes that they are able to update the student parking lot, but he does not see that happening soon.

He also understands that with the closing of the back gate, the front student parking lot will get a bit more crowded than usual. If it is necessary in the future, the school will open more gates in the front to alleviate congestion of students entering and exiting the lot.