Students Attending Camp RYLA 2019

Jorge Torres

Rolan Lawson and Cynthia Gonzalez are excited about winning a spot to Camp RYLA.

Faith Zako, Staff Reporter

This year, two students, Cynthia Gonzalez (11) and Rolan Lawson (11)  have been chosen to attend Camp RYLA.

Camp RYLA is a leadership camp in which one male and one female student, in their junior year, from different schools across California are selected to attend. The purpose of Camp RYLA-or the Rotary Youth Leadership Awakening-is to educate youth more on personal qualities, communication skills, and problem solving strategies in order to enhance their leadership abilities.

Roland Lawson is involved in multiple clubs and sports, including Future Farmers of America (FFA), California Scholarship Federation (CSF), National Honor Society, football, and track.

Cynthia Gonzalez is involved in Academic Decathlon, History Society, CSF, Lulac, basketball, track, and band. Their involvement in the school is a great qualification for their nomination to Camp RYLA.

They were chosen through a nomination process, where various teachers or a counselor nominated them for their leadership potential. Afterwards, all the students that had been nominated get interviewed by some members of the school board and city council until only four students are left, the two winners and two runners up.

Gonzalez believed the interview went.  She replied, “I think it went pretty good, but I had to be confident in what I was saying.”

Lawson agreed with her, adding that they had to, “just keep a positive attitude.”

Anticipating Camp RYLA, Lawson said, “I don’t know what to expect, but I would like to just meet new people and do different activities.”

Camp RYLA takes place in February for several days.