Germany and the U.S.: two totally different cultures?

Jasmin Heimerl, Staff Reporter

I am an exchange student from Germany, and I will be in America for a year.  Many people ask me what differences I see between the U.S. and Germany. Of course there are obvious differences like the language because we speak German in Germany, although nearly everyone can speak English as well. We don’t only use a different metric, temperature, and school system; it is a whole different culture.

I noticed many little differences between these two countries.  For example, Americans are very open- minded and friendly. However, one of the biggest differences is the food. I don’t think any other country has such a big variety of fast food restaurants as the U.S. It was also very interesting to try American foods like Taki’s, Cheese Its, S’Mores and many others.

One of the major parts of my exchange year is going to an American high school. I am sure many of you are wondering right know why anyone would want to go to your school, but for many non-American students, it is a dream to experience this. American schools are way more laid back, and in my opinion more fun.

We don’t have any sports in German schools, which is why I think that the offered sports at Los Banos High are very versatile, and they help the students to pursue their interests. I also really enjoy going to the games every week and feel the school spirit that we don’t have in Germany.

Germany and the U.S. are countries that have more differences than similarities, but I think both of them are great in their own way. Being an exchange student allows me to find out so much about a different country and it’s culture. So, if you have the chance to travel to a different country, I can only encourage you to take it.