Valentine’s Day Is Here!

happy valentines day

Fanasy Nelson, Staff Reporter

Valentine’s Day is around the corner Tigers!

A day were people celebrate the day of love and romance. When it comes to Valentine’s Day, everyone thinks about flowers, chocolate, and spending time with  your loved ones. But Valentine’s Day is more than that. St. Valentine was an imprisoned man who feel in love with a beautiful woman.  Before he was put to death, he sent a his first “valentine” to his love when he wrote her a letter and signed it at the bottom “your valentine.” These words are still used to this day. This day of love dates way back to the year of 496.

“Cupid” (Latin cupid “desire”) is another iconic figure when it comes to love. In Roman mythology, Cupid is the son of Venus, goddess of love. Cupid is a boy known for going around with arrows wounding both gods and humans, causing them to fall in love.

A few students around campus had opinions about what Valentine’s Day means to them and these were their responses.

Jenny Prado (11) commented, “Valentine’s Day is a day where most people celebrate showing their love towards another person, but it’s not always having a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, or wife. To me it can be anyone whom you love deeply and show them you appreciate them and most importantly appreciative for their presence with you.”

Maddie Basave (11) commented, “To me Valentine’s Day is a day to be happy and to spend time with the people you care about and love.”

Be  happy even if you do not have a person to spend it with.  Spend time with family or yourself because self love is very important! Have a good Valentine’s Day Tigers!!