Brexit? What’s Brexit?

Quentin Barcellos, Staff Reporter

What is Brexit? If you’re into politics then you probably already know the answer to this question; however, if you are like most high school students, then you are unaware of what Brexit is. To answer the question, Brexit is the combination of the words Britain and exit. It is in reference to Britain leaving the European Union.

That leaves the question as to why Britain is leaving the European Union. In 2016, Britain’s population took a vote to see if they should leave the European Union or not. It was a close call, but leaving the European Union ended up winning 51.9% to 48.1%. More than 70% of people (30 million) voted.

The European Union itself is an economic and political partnership between 28 European nations. It began after World War II because of the idea that countries that trade together were less likely to go to war with each other. Since its creation it has become a union where the people can come and go as if all 28 countries were one:19 of the 28 countries use one form of currency called the euro.

Britain is set to leave the European Union on March 29 of this year. As of right now nothing has been cancelled, so all that is left to discuss is whether Britain will have a deal with the European Union or not when they leave. Now the question is, do the students at Los Banos High School know about Brexit? If they do, do they actually care about what the outcome is?

When Clarissa Flores (12) was asked if she knew what Brexit was her response was, “I don’t think I’ve ever heard of it.” After being told what it is, she replied, “I don’t think it’s that important because it’s not like they are going to war or anything like that.”

Will it have any big effect on the U.S? Only time will tell.