The Dangers of Juuling

Lizbeth Martinez, Staff Reporter

Juuling is a new type of e-cigarette, and it is now about 68% of the $2 billion e-cigarette market.  The “juul” is very popular among teenagers, and this concerns medical professionals because it delivers higher concentrations of nicotine than any other e-cigarettes. Nicotine is highly addictive, but it is also very toxic, and known to impair brain and lung development.

Juul is very easy to use, because there are no settings to control, all that is required is a non-refillable pod cartilage. One of the reasons why so many teens use the juul is because not that much work is needed,  all they have to do is to take the juul to their mouth and inhale. Juuls compared to other e-cigarettes is that they have much more nicotine (5%) while others have less (2.4%). A study done by the UK’s Royal College of Psychiatrists shows that nicotine is about as addictive as cocaine and even more addictive than alcohol and other drugs.

The impact on the developing brain is  great concern for experts, nicotine increases sensitivity to other drugs and increases greater impulsivity, which means action done with no forethought.

Since juuls are small, and almost look like USB drives, they can be easily hidden from teachers and administrators at school. Students are able to take a hit and blow into their backpacks and go back to doing their work right away.

Each pod in a juul is equivalent to 200 cigarette puffs. This is almost like smoking a pack a day!  The tube costs $40 and the pods come in a pack of five for $15.

Although it may be difficult to  quit, students can start by not buying refills, surround themselves with friends that are also trying to quit, and realize how this habit could influence younger siblings or people that look up to you.

If students need help, please see your counselor.