The Return of the Blood Drive

Quentin Barcellos, Staff Reporter

The blood drive has once again passed through Los Banos High School. On Friday of February 22, those of the Central California Blood Center came down to receive blood donations from students. Every year they come down around this time to receive blood from students that they are very thankful for.

In order to have given blood the students had to meet a few requirements. They had to fill out an application as well as a parent consent form. The parent consent form was important not to forget, because the blood drive people would not give them another one if they forget it. The students had to have had this consent form even if they were already 18 years old.

Other requirements are that the donors had to be at least 16 years old and weigh at least 110 pounds. A photo ID was also required at the blood donation site, which was the new gym. It was also required that no student could have a tattoo that was applied less than a year ago. There are also obvious requirements like not having the cold or flu during the time blood was given. All other questions that were not answered by the paper given were answered by contacting 559-389-5433.

The amount of blood that was received from each person is one pint, which is not really all that much. The one pint of blood that was given will be replenished in the body in only 24 hours. This is why it is recommended not to do any sort of physical exercise until 24 hours after giving blood.

Giving blood can also seem scary for some people, however, giving blood is both safe and easy. Only a slight pinch is ever felt. A little pain is an easy obstacle to help a patient that is in need.

With all that said, it is highly encouraged to donate blood, whether it be at one of these school events or going out to do it at a facility.