Criminal Act: Paying For Entrance Into College

Quentin Barcellos, Staff Reporter

Illegally getting into college has finally been brought to light. A few rich families have been caught paying for their child to get into college. Lori Loughlin and her daughter being the center of attention for it all.

Lori Loughlin was caught spending 500,000 dollars in order to get her daughter, Olivia Jade, into USC. She even went as far as to pretend that her daughter was on the rowing team when she was not. What is funny to some is that on Olivia Jade’s YouTube channel Lori Loughlin joked about spending money to get her daughter into college.

Olivia Jade has also said some other things on her YouTube channel that have made others angry. In one of her videos she says she is only at college to have fun. She also says that she hates going to classes and that going to classes is not for her. Odd that her mother spent so much money for her daughter to get into USC, yet she does not even want to be there.

Make no mistake though, rich families paying for their children to get into college has been happening for a long time now. It is just now that it has finally been brought to light. Colleges are now looking into students who paid to get in and kicking them out.

When Lesley Magana (12) was asked what she thinks about the students paying to get into college she said, “I am not really surprised about it at all. It’s probably been going on since forever.”  

She also said that she was kind of upset about it since the students that pay to get into a college are taking away someone else’s rightfully deserved spot, but since there is nothing she can do about it she does not tend to think about it.

This leaves the question should students be punished for paying to get into college or if that is part of the benefit they get for being rich?